It's been awhile since I last updated my blog, infact I have absolutely forgotten about this blog..LOL!

Today, I have made my first attempt to cook the ever popular wan tan ho which I know most Sabahans absolutely crave for it and it is pretty hard for one to resist it's temptation! I paid £5 in Chinatown just to have this portion of flat rice noodle with egg gravy and I thought to myself, I think I can do this myself and alas..I successfully cooked one sumptios Wan Tan Ho ala UK style and I must say..I done quiet well and am please with myself..Hehe..

Here is the recipe for it..It is not a difficult recipe at all..a MUST try! Good Luck!

First of all, we need to prepare the ingredients:

flat noodle (hor fun)
2 squid, cleaned and cut
1/2 tbsp dark soy sauce
100g pork meat, sliced(chicken as a substitude)
1tbsp light soy sauce
50g pork fat(which can be opted out)
4 clove garlic, crushed 1 egg
50g green mustard(choy sum) chopped
3 tbsp cornflour and 2 tbsp water to make mixture
10 prawn, cleaned and peeled
chicken stock
1 tbsp sesame oil
Salt to taste(I have left the salt out on my cooking as I think it's flavousome enough as the chicken stock gives a taste to it, and the light n dark soy sauce is good enough to make up the salt but it's entirely up to you)

To make:

1.heat up the wok, add in 2 tbsp oil and fry ½ tbsp crushed garlic till fragrant.

2.Add in hor fun(kueh tiau), dark soy sauce and light soy sauce, stir fry quickly over high heat till mix well.

3.Remove heat, set aside in a serving plate.

4.Heat up the wok, add in 1 tbsp oil and the pork fat, fry over low heat until become crispy. (for those who are not using pork, this can be skipped and go straight to no 6)

5.Remove the crispy pork fat, remain the oil in the wok.

6.Using high heat, add in sesame oil to the fried oil, fry the remaining garlic till fragrant, then add in pork meat, prawn and squid, stir fry for 1 minute.

7.Add in the chicken stock(what I do is, I put in water and add knorr chicken stock powder), bring to boil, put in green mustard(choy sum), mix well, then slowly pour in the cornflour mixture and stir well to form a thick gravy.

8.Add salt to taste(can leave the salt out, entirely up to your taste), beat in the egg and remove heat. Stir till the egg mix well with the gravy.

9.Pour the egg gravy on top of the fried kuew tiau. Add the crispy pork fat on the top. Your Wan tan ho is now ready to be served.




That’s it! Pretty simple to make this well known dish. But remember, to make a smooth gravy, we shouldn’t let the egg cooked for too long, the best way is to remove heat immediately right after the egg is beat in. Since the gravy is hot, the egg will cooked once it mix well with the gravy, so no worries, you won’t have raw egg here! Happy cooking!